Thursday, September 25, 2008

10 Commandments of Sports

Years and years ago, when writing a college paper on Malamud, baseball and society, I came across The Ten Commandments of Sports in a book I was using for research. Later, I wrote about what I had discovered in a newspaper column. Unfortunately, I can't find either.

As my second season of officiating high school soccer is just underway, I wanted to post those commandments. Here is my version of what I remembered and pieced together over the past week.

The 10 Commandments of Sports
1. Put forth your best effort at all times; do nothing to diminish the integrity of the game.

2. Always abide by the rules of the game in letter and in spirit.

3. Never take the ability of an opponent - individual or team - for granted.

4. Remember, the game is the thing; it is a privilege to participate.

5. Honor and respect the judgment of the game's officials.

6. Thou shalt not place winning ahead of all things.

7. Thou shalt not take any unfair advantage over any opponent.

8. Thou shalt not taunt.

9. Thou shalt practice sportsmanship in all situations.

10. Thou shalt not gloat; display modesty in victory and graciousness in defeat.


Please share these if you wish, and credit Eddie D. at Each New Morning

No comments: