Saturday, September 27, 2008

Simply Snickers: A Civil War Poem

The Simply Snickers prompt for the week was wait, war, water, write (or right).

Mama, I promise I'll write
Every day that I can
I'll be alright
You'll see.

Mama, it's no fun this war.
I seen guys wounded and
yellin' what for
Cause it hurts.

Mama, they were firin' mortars
And had us pinned down good
Couldn't get water
without gettin' shot.

Mama, just can't hardly wait
to be comin' on home
I tempted fate
And oh Lord, I lived.

Mama, my time's up
And very, very soon
We'll have sup
All together agin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the nostalgic feeling of this one, while it certainly applies to many today.

Thanks for participating at SIMPLY SNICKERS. Hope you will come back. Next week's prompt is up!

SIMPLY SNICKERS – weekly poetry prompts

Blessings,
Linda