Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Kindness from Strangers 2

I made my way back to the railroad tracks yesterday with a box of bagels, muffins, and danishes left over from the conference breakfast.

The woman who had helped me through the fence to the tracks on Sunday watched me coming. As I neared the place where she lived, she came over and said hello.

"I brought you some food. Is that OK?" I said.

"We'll take anything we can get," she answered.

"OK, well, here you go. Thanks for showing me the way in yesterday," I said.

"You're welcome," she said. "Anytime."

And with that, I smiled, flipped a small wave, and headed back to my room.

ADDENDUM: The hostess who packed the first box also packed another without me asking for us to drop off on our way home Tuesday. What a wonderful world.

1 comment:

SandyCarlson said...

Most excellent. And you can bet the writers who graced that area with their tags see or know life on both sides of the tracks. There's a biting hunger for sensitivity in all of this.