Monday, September 15, 2008

Kindness from Strangers

I can't tell you their names. I can't remember what they were wearing or what they looked like. But I can tell you that if I see them again, I will know who they are.

Two kind people I met yesterday took me on a little trek. I had asked them, as we were about to pass on the street, if they knew how I could get to the railroad tracks to take some graffiti photographs. I had gotten close, I told them, but I stopped because of a posted sign warning of electric fence.

"No it is not electric. Follow us," they said. "Thanks for your help," I answered. "I asked a couple of other people, but they couldn't tell me. I guess you have to know who to ask."

"Well, you asked the right people; you asked two homeless people and that's where we live," said the woman.

We leaped over a short fence, then stepped lightly around a large puddle caused by the day's rain. She had walked briskly to that point, but slowed down to tell me just where to step so I wouldn't get my sneakers wet.
We passed though another fence and they showed me where they lived. Then they showed me some graffiti along the tracks. As they settled in by the corner of two bridge overpass supports, I walked on, snapped a few more shots, and headed out. They waved as I left and I waved back.

For me, the magic of the moment was: Two strangers pass a third. The two offer to help the third. We were all just people. And we created a moment like no other.

6 comments:

J. S. Clawson said...

Exactly! Thank you so much for that. Homeless in this nation are ignored, yet most Americans are one paycheck away from being homeless. Thank you for this kind retrospective look into their lives. What a great story.

punatik said...

As Scott mentioned , many are a paycheck away from this situation. It is a heartwarming story Thanks.

susan said...

And kudos for you for treating all people the same. Some would have ignored asking them.

Thanks for participating in Little Lovin' Monday

Anonymous said...

hi!

i came over from Susan's. thanks for sharing this heartwarming story.

Anonymous said...

This a wonderful story. So glad I discovered it. Congrats to Susan for making my visit here possible.

Anonymous said...

Making money on the internet is easy in the undercover world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat seo forum[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you don't know what blackhat is. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or misunderstood avenues to produce an income online.